This week I will finish drafting Lost Dogs, and things speed up from here. August is going to be very busy for me:
- August 8: By this date, I will finish my edits
- August 9: The manuscript goes to beta readers for their review
- August 9-25: Begin work on various promotional efforts, which I’ll discuss more about some other time
- August 25: Comments due back from beta readers
- August 29: By this date, I will incorporate all the edits from the beta readers.
So what’s a “beta reader,” anyway? Think of it as someone who test-drives a book, reporting back to the author on what they liked in the story, and what they didn’t. A beta reader also says if they found any continuity errors, plot holes, typos, etc. I have 7 beta readers already signed up, and I could use 5 more. Anyone want to volunteer?
Here’s what’s in it for you:
- Signed softcover copy of the published Lost Dogs
- Electronic version of same
- Mention in the “Acknowledgments”
- Small “thank you” gifts from me (TBD, but I’m thinking gift cards for Dunkin’ Donuts, or something similar)
To be a beta reader, you don’t need to have been an English major or worked in editing/publishing. You only need to like to read (preferably sci-fi and/or young adult books) and be willing to provide substantive comments (not just “I liked it” or “I didn’t like it,” but why you feel that way). And you also need to get the job done by August 25 at the latest: I’m on a tight schedule for publication.
If you’d like to take part, please comment below or e-mail me. And thank you!
Last week, I showed up off some cover concepts from my artist friend James Arnold, and after batting some ideas backforth backforth with me, he’s come through again with some more killer work. Ladies and gentlemen, here’s your cover for Lost Dogs:
Stay tuned: I have lots more for you very soon.
Kenton Kilgore is the author of DRAGONTAMER’S DAUGHTERS, a two-part young adult fantasy novel based on Navajo culture and belief. Look for his next work, LOST DOGS, a young adult sci-fi novel, coming this September.