So last night, I had an interview on ArtistFirst Radio for Dragontamer’s Daughters. I feel like it went well, though I was a little nervous at first: I haven’t been on the radio in about 25 years or so, since I was a DJ at WMUC AM 65 at the University of Maryland. But soon enough, I got warmed up and it went smoothly. Some of the topics discussed were:
- Auto-bio tidbits
- A brief synopsis of DTD
- Creativity and writing fantasy literature
- How and why I wrote DTD (including some discussion on the Navajo language)
- DTD’s artwork
- Going against the popular trends in young adult literature
- Experiences with literary agents and traditional publishers
- The difficulties of self-publishing and the future of publishing
- Themes in DTD
- Future writing projects
I would have preferred more questions about DTD’s story and its characters, and fewer about the publishing industry. Sometimes, I felt like I had to steer the conversation back towards the book and away from tangents. But overall, I enjoyed the experience and wouldn’t mind doing it again for my next book (which I need to get back to working on). ArtistFirst will provide me a copy of the interview and I’ll post it on the front page of my site when I get it.
Thanks to everyone who tuned it! I hope you enjoyed it.
Edit: here’s a link to the interview.